WORKING HAND IN HAND WITH VOLUNTEERS
Chile is a geographically diverse country that spans over 4,000 kilometres, from the hot deserts of the north to the icy landscape of Patagonia. Chile is also one of South America’s most industrialized countries – although these advances are not evident in communities in higher elevations, where the Sisters of Charity of Saint Mary concentrate their efforts. In these areas, they strive to spread the Gospel within homes and tend to the sick.
Every Saturday at noon, the Sisters provide a free meal to some 50 children aged three to 17, accompanied by nearly a dozen mothers. Teams of volunteers help with the food preparation. Once a week, some particularly needy families are given the additional “privilege” of a shower and an extra meal.
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Mary and their volunteers also help children with learning disabilities do their school work.
Every year, for nearly three weeks and with the assistance of a number of students and individuals from various chapels within the parish, the sisters organize a summer camp with games and other activities for local children.
Institutions and services
- Santa Maria dining hall
- Ministry to the sick
- Parish ministry and diocesan ministry for the elderly
- Prayer and Gospel study groups
- Vocational outreach
- Seniors’ centre project
- Participation in the team of parish youth counsellors
- Support for liturgical celebrations
- Santiago du Chili
- GDP per capita (CURRENT US $)*:
- 13 794,00
- Population (NUMBER OF PEOPLE)*:
- 18 197 000
- Public spending on education (% OF TOTAL GDP)*:
- Density (PEOPLE/KM2)*:
- UNIVERSITY SCHOOLING (% OF POP 25 TO 64)†:
- Number of physicians (X/1000 people)*:
- HEALTHCARE EXPENDITURE (% OF TOTAL GDP)*:
*Source: World Statistics Pocket Book - 2018 Edition - United Nations, New York, 2018
†Source: Investinontario.com – Education at a glance: Adult education level, Tertiary, 2017
Sister María Andrée Chalifour
Pasaje 1, Villa California sitio 19
Sta. Julia, Viña del Mar Chili
Tél. : (32) 248 43 51